Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Comma, No Comma

a square, fondant-covered cake


a square fondant-covered cake


JD (The Engine Room) said...

The former, because the latter leaves me thinking of a cake covered in square fondants.

TootsNYC said...

Ah--there might be a cultural thing--I don't think that in the U.S. we have "fondants" as items.

There's "rolled fondant" the play-dough-like cake coating that gets rolled out and draped over cakes or cut into pieces to put ON cakes; there's "fondant" the liquid icing that gets poured over petits-fours.

There are candies made with fondant, or w/ fondant filling. But we don't usually all them "fondants."

But I don't think we have an individual treat that we call "a fondant."