Thursday, July 17, 2008

Did You Spell It Right?

Playing Etymologic!, I hit this question:



Where does the word coco come from?



Here are our choices:


* The Aztec word cachuatl for chocolate
* From the Portuguese word coco, meaning 'goblin'
* From the French caocao meaning milk



I'm thinking,"'What word did they mean? Cocoa?"

OK, so I know it's cheating, but I get out the Web9 on my shelf to look up the word "coco."

It's the fruit of the coconut palm. (the answer: 'goblin,' which was my guess bcs I assumed they had proofread themselves--a chancy assumption, but one I felt it was fair to make; if I got it wrong because of my assumption, I'd just add one on to my score at the end--who would know?)


Oh, you know what's stupid about this? I just got back from Hawai'i, where they grow coconuts. And when I was trying to figure out what a coco was, it never occurred to me that it might be from "coconut."

2 comments:

Editrix said...

I totally missed the "coco" question. (I guessed that it was an Aztec word.) But, hey, I got the "umbrella" question right. I guess all those Spanish classes I took in college were good for something after all.

TootsNYC said...

I didn't run into the "umbrella" question--I must not have played it enough times.